...

...

6/07/2016

"Why did you take your gloves off?" {the bullshit starts!}

Everybody, well almost everybody has to wear gloves whilst at work at Amazon; those who really don't have to are those nitwits in Human Resources {HR} or others who don't deal with the boxes.  It is so important and Amazon and its managers insist that workers use their "personal protection" items; gloves, glasses, etc.



It was 11:28pm when I finished a box and tossed it onto the conveyor which would take it to "slam"...everybody around was talking to each other and doing nothing; it was, after all a couple of minutes away from getting to go to "lunch."

Since we only had a couple of minutes left and there was absolutely no reason to start packing another box, I simply removed the gloves.

Then I heard the voice of management {or I should say Assistant Management with a "I am better than you" attitude} behind me: "Why did you take off your gloves?"

Remember, it was, well now, 11:29pm and the other workers were either slipping away a couple minutes early or talking.  I looked at her, then my watch: "We only have a couple of minutes to go before lunch..."

She looks at me with this bad attitude, the one management has when they are oh so better than the common worker.  Amazon has a specific attitude when it comes to the management and a specific age group and "go-get'em" attitude (at night the best thing for management to do is drink lots of coffee or do lots of energy shots to keep that gung-ho attitude up).  This assistant manager was a young, twenty-something woman, I'd have to admit, she was attractive but now she was ugly, what with that squished up expression on her face.

"You took off your gloves, that's not right, you should work right up to the last minute!" she yowled at me in her best "I'm a manager, you're shit..." attitude.  She looked at my name on my badge and wrote it down in a dirty little notebook: "It's lazy workers like you, that limits the amount of product we put out..." then she made some age discrimination mumble under her breath...and walked off.

I looked at her, then at my watch, it was past time for lunch, she had wasted a whole three minutes for me, with her tirade.

After lunch, a coworker sat down near me; "What was all that shit about gloves?" he asked, then continued: "I mean nearly everybody was talking, some were even slipping off, what the fuck?"

I had to laugh, prior to this experience, "Little Boss" had always been polite, always sweet, never confrontational---perhaps one of the "main managers" had told her to set fire to her attitude and start being a meaner one.
"Did you hear that one about me slowing down production with taking off my gloves?" I asked bemusedly." I paused a moment, thinking about things, the assistant managers always tell us packers if we were doing a good job and how much had gone out, at the "stand up" meeting before and after lunch.  "How much you wanna bet she tells us we're actually ahead and not behind?" I laughed sarcastically.

At stand up, there she was, all sweet looking and past-tense with the mean attitude. She rattled off about this and that and then said: "We are 645 boxes ahead, we met and exceeded the amount we needed for the immediate ships..."

So, see, we were ahead, us slow, {age discrimination} workers did just fine.

I turned to my coworker and grinned; "See?"

Later I found out that "Little Bitch," as most of us soon called the newly made mean manager, that she had written a "black mark" item on my record, saying I was not only disrespectful (bullshit), but I had also "taken off his gloves at 11:38pm..."  bla bla vomit.

Little bullshit things like that can fuck you up, believe it or not.  So there, she had done it, she had written me up on a totally ludicrous bunkum of hers.  I'd find out that this one report would cause me grief down-the-line...oh, don't forget she made age discrimination mumbles towards me, however to protect themselves, none of my coworkers would admit to hearing her.

Yup, Amazon; such a wonderful place to work!

copyright © 2016 Anti-Amazon All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment