...

...

6/08/2016

"You have reached your potential..."

I'd been with Amazon for at least a good four months and watched those hired after me get some of the choice positions in AFE.  I was getting tired of that, feeling I should be able to do something else too, so about a week prior to "Black Friday" I went to my manager.




"It's going to be peak soon, so talk to me after, in January..." was his quick remark, yet he had time for his favorite, Mr Speedy...the self-avowed "fastest packer in the house..." which he came pretty close in being, however his packages sucked.

We went through peak, with recent "white badge" hires doing the jobs of the "blue badges" who've been there for a long while.  Most of these white badges didn't even know what they were doing; it pissed me off that the manager would let these temporary workers do the job, knowing not how to do it, and wouldn't let me.

I waited though, it was the only thing I could do.  Every time I approached the manager he would quickly turn his back and walk off.

It was early January 2016, I went to the manager and asked if I could train to be an Andon responder (the person whose job it is to go to the station and then look for a "lost" or misplaced product and if not finding it to bring the stuff to the appropriate person)---he told me I needed "to start to pack more than what you are now, that's one of the requirements."

Hmpth, on that one.  I already packed pretty good but never seemed to get to the "goal" they always set.  A week later I asked Tim, the assistant manager about being trained for the responder---his remark was rather rude and said in a way which mirrored the sly "age discrimination" which is rampant in Aamazon: "I'm sorry but you have reached your potential..."

What the fuck is that?

Nobody ever reaches their potential, for it is always ahead of them, calling to them, screaming to them, to improve or to keep on going.

I think it had something to do with the hidden "age requirements" within Amazon; they can't legally hold ones age against them, however they can always make it more difficult and hide their excuses of age, behind other things.

"You have reached your potential..."  pure bullshit, especially when they had folks doing the work who were inexperienced and were still white badges.

Amazon hides its age discrimination under all sorts of bullshit, however believe me, they do discriminate even though they hire people who're older than the "norm."  If one would notice, the age groups are in the twenties and thirties with most of the management being from their mid-twenties to their mid-thirties.  Amazon is a age-driven company for sure but you'd never know it until it happens to you.
copyright © 2016 Anti-Amazon All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment